Countdown to the Conference
Abstract: In order to transition to a sustainable future, we need to imagine beyond the way we see things today. Much of the public does not even think about infrastructure, taking it for granted. It is invisible. Artists can and have opened up new ways of seeing and interacting with the public as well as infrastructure professionals. This Symposium, gathers artists and professionals in infrastructure to present innovative projects and discuss the challenges of engaging the public in in an area often seen as backstage material for our lives, if seen at all. The group will discuss the role of interdisciplinary teams, including artists in imagining a new story for our interface with the natural world.
- Jonee Kulman Brigham, Fellow, Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota; Artist, Owner, Full Spring Studio (Moderator)
- Shanai Matteson, Artist & Collaborative Director, Works Progress
- Arlene Birt, Visual Storyteller, Background Stories; Associate Professor, Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- Cathy Abene, Principal Civil Engineer, University of Minnesota
- Anna Eleria, Planning, Projects & Grants Division Manager, Capitol Region Watershed District